Valley Permaculture Alliance

I've found multiple suggestions on the Internet but it's overwhelming. Can anyone tell me how they boil fresh eggs so they peel easily? Thanks!

Views: 107

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

a little vinegar in the water and let them cool overnight in the fridge.

The tried and true method for me, after boiling let set for 5-10 minutes drain half the water and cover with ice cubes. Works perfect 100% of the time. In fact I just made some this morning. Perfect batch.

Thanks! Do you start by placing the eggs in the pot and then removing after the water start boiling too?

nope , after they boil for about 15 minutes just turn off the stove and let them sit for 5-10 min  then dump a little water out and cover them with ice right in the pot. At least thats how we do it.

letting them sit in the fridge for a week or so helps too.  Older eggs peel easier

Place eggs in COLD water in a saucepan about 1 inch over the top of the eggs.

Bring water to a boil.

As soon as water reaches a boil, remove from heat, cover and let sit 20 minutes.

As soon as the 20 minutes are up, drain hot water and let rinse under COLD water for a few minutes, then add a large amount of ice to the eggs and water in saucepan to 'shock' the temperature down. Let eggs sit in the ice until it melts,  then refrigerate eggs.

When peeling eggs, crack all sides of egg, then run under cold water as you peel.

Never had one stick yet!

Steam them!

I use an egg steamer and the shells just slide off!

I start with room temp eggs(I don't refrigerate my eggs), pierce an end and put them in the steamer pierced side up.  When they are done submerge in cold water. (doesn't have to be colder than what you get from the faucet.)  Roll and peel after about 5 minutes or so. 

I'm sure you could use a regular stove-top steamer for this, I just wouldn't know how long to steam them because I just push a button on my steamer and it shuts off when they are done.  :-)

RSS

© 2014   Created by Valley Permaculture Admin.

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service